Monday, 29 September 2014
Friday, 5 September 2014
You probably wonder why I didn't blog for some time. There are several reasons for this:
1. The boring tale of my being busy with drawing my comic.
2. After two desastrous outcomes of trying to sew with cheap knitfabrics (don't do it!) I was kind of frustrated and sad and lost my motivation for a while. I tried to sew two of the papercut patterns but both turned out too small, even though I choose exactly the size based on their measurement chart. Next time I try one of their patterns I will choose the bigger size to not be disappointed a third time. I don't want to give up on them yet, as they have so many beautiful patterns!
Also, does anybody have tipps/tutorials for sewing with bias tape and sewing on neckbands? Everything I found so far, didn't eliminate gaping in the front and shoulders, but it might also be my bodyshape...
3.My sewing machine is currently on it's way to the seller, so they can fix the buttonhole problem and another one that made sewing impossible. I hope that doesn't take too long. I was in the middle of sewing a muslin for the Nascha mini skirt...
But after my knit debacle I decided to try something easy and new to get excited about sewing again, so I bought the Senna tote pattern.
I'm still very unsure about fabric descriptions and sometimes buy the wrong ones, which ends in tears and frustration. Therefore I decided to be on the safe side this time and buy the same fabric they used for the example bag. And I'm glad I did! I thought quiltweight means much heavier fabric, but I was super soft and lightweight.
The instructions were super easy to follow and I really enjoyed the whole construction. My machine had no problems sewing together the many layers in the end, but I did use a walking foot so maybe that helped. I managed to match the pattern of the pocket in the front but not in the back due to the irregular yellow part of the pattern. The only change I made was to add an removable long backstrap to the back of the bag to have the option to wear it over my shoulders.
The pencil case was made out of leftover fabric pieces without a pattern, just the usual squares with an additional pocket on the front, to have easy access to some of my pens.
I used some helpful diy tools for some of the construction steps, that I wanted to share. To make sure the topstitching of the straps was straight I taped one of my needlecases on my machine which functioned as a guide. I also used some old piece of wood, that I had lying around (in this case it was the back of my woodcut) as a clapper to receive a nicely pressed seam! Colette explained how to use a clapper well here.
I don't know how long my machine will be away, so I'm not sure when I will be able to finish the Nascha skirt.