Monday, 28 October 2013
As mentioned I didn't have much time the last week, because I'm working on another illustration project right now. This month was probably not the best idea to start a sewing blog, I suppose.
The next pattern I want to try is the Wiksten Tank!
I chose it because it's a top and I have far too less pretty ones and it seems like a fairly easy pattern as it is very loose-fitting.
Things I will learn in the process:
2)finish the neckline and armholes
3)and I might have to adjust the back neckline (this seems to be a common problem with this pattern)
I went to ikea last week to get some inexpensive fabrics for muslins, so you might see some ugly fabrics, when I show you the muslins that I've done. The actual fabric that I have in mind for this tank looks like the one in the illustration, but I have to order it first. The fabric shop in my town doesn't have any pretty printed ones, which means I have to visit Berlin or the internet for that.
Anyway I'm very excited to sew this tank!
Thursday, 17 October 2013
(Yes, I know, this is not the best-fitting blouse.)My biggest problem was the amount of fabric that was gathered around my hip, it just didn't look right, even though I already had chosen the smallest pattern size.(I'm a tiny person:161cm/ 5'3ft tall.) I kind of knew how to change it but I would need to take apart the whole skirt for that. I had to cut 8cm away from the original rectangular pattern piece for the front and the back of the skirt, gather it and sew it all together again. I was a bit hesitant to do it at first, but I couldn't wear that first skirt anyway, so why not take it apart and try again.The waistband was also a tiny bit to big, so it was resized as well.
And do you remember that invisible zipper with the rounded corners, that I messed up somehow? This part of a sewalong by Sewaholic helped me understand it better. I had not folded the zipper around to the inside, so there was no neat square corner. But now there is one:
I'm actually quite happy with it now. It's not perfect of course, but wearable and I'm proud that I was able to save it. Next week I'll be working on a freelance job with a tight deadline, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to start sewing something new. The next thing will probably be a wallet anyway (my old one is falling apart)and I'm not sure that this is something worth posting about.
Thursday, 10 October 2013
It was fun to learn all those new things. It was a bit tricky sometimes e.g. inserting the invisible zipper and the corner which is round and not squarish unfortunately as you can see in the photo. But all in all very interesting and enjoyable.
(This waistband is so messed up!)
I didn't expect this skirt to be anywhere near good, because it's the first item I've sewn for myself, but I didn't think that the gathering would be bad decision for my silhouette.(I haven't figured out yet what shape I am...). At least with this rather stiff fabric. Or maybe it's because I failed at spreading the gathers evenly. The waistband could be a bit slimmer, but otherwise it's okay. I'm thinking about taking the skirt apart and getting rid of some of the fabric, that makes it feel like I have a huge bottom. Not sure yet, but it's interesting to think about how I could make it better.
So it would consider this a failed project in case of wearability but a win in learning experience.
What I have to remember for my next project:
1.Not so much gathering at the waistband, it looks not good on me. -> less fabric is better
2.Pleats are nice but the fabric becomes a bit stiffer in that area
3.Practise invisible zippers, so they look nice and neat!
4.Buy enough thread.
Tuesday, 8 October 2013
This happened yesterday. I reached the end of the thread.
Silly me thought, 100m thread would be enough for such a small skirt. I guess I thought wrong, and so I had to stop in the middle of sewing. Annoying, but I could pin my pattern pieces at least, so I would be able to start immediately when I came back from the haberdashery.
This is how far I've come:
The pleats and the gathering are done, even though I have to make sure that the gathers are evenly spread which is harder than it sounds.
Saturday, 5 October 2013
The first pattern I'm going to try my hands on is the Claudia Skirt by Angela Osborn.
I couldn't find a yellow/orange fabric as pictured in the illustration (which would've been great), so I went with a safe dark blue one, and a striped one for the lining.
As I'm an absolute beginner, there are a lot of new things I have to learn to make the skirt:
1.pleats! (So pretty!)
3. invisible zipper
4. adding the waistband (which looks super confusing) and the lining of course
All of these are probably totally easy for most of you but I never done it, so I don't know how it will go. I could skip the lining, but I want to try it too and it think it looks really neat and finished with one. Oh my...I will totally mess it up, I'm so sure of it!
Wednesday, 2 October 2013
I'm also planning to draw the skirts, dresses or shirts, because... well... I like to draw.